[Collisions] "controlled interruption" - 127/8 versus RFC1918 space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jan 10 20:36:39 UTC 2014

Wayne,

On Jan 10, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Wayne MacLaurin <Wayne at demandmedia.com> wrote:
> If a network is going to leak as a result of our proposal.  It is ALREADY leaking.  At the very least, their DNS queries are leaking.    If DNS is leaking then they are ALREADY subject to all sorts of undefined behaviour from the coffeehsop, home routers etc..   Huge swaths of that business already do DNS interception for security/access or monetization reasons so who knows what’s happening with their data.

> I have to believe that actually providing good feedback and a well defined privacy policy by whomever is running these proposed services is going to be far better than the completely undefined, unknown behaviour that is out there today.

The behavior today is defined: a connection is not (cannot be) attempted.  The behavior post-delegation is indeed undefined.  The question is whether it is better to set up a SiteFinder-like service to attempt to inform folks that they're probably not doing what they think they're doing or interrupt their behavior to encourage them to figure it out on their own. Both have plusses and minuses.

Regards,
-drc