[Collisions] "controlled interruption" - 127/8 versus RFC1918 space

Wayne MacLaurin Wayne at demandmedia.com
Fri Jan 10 17:52:15 UTC 2014

I get the concerns about privacy and I certainly understand the reluctance to want ICANN managing yet another multi-month delay driven process….

I’m also not a lawyer but my view on the privacy issue is that its just another piece of FUD being used as an excuse to delay progress.

If a network is going to leak as a result of our proposal.  It is ALREADY leaking.  At the very least, their DNS queries are leaking.    If DNS is leaking then they are ALREADY subject to all sorts of undefined behaviour from the coffeehsop, home routers etc..   Huge swaths of that business already do DNS interception for security/access or monetization reasons so who knows what’s happening with their data.

I have to believe that actually providing good feedback and a well defined privacy policy by whomever is running these proposed services is going to be far better than the completely undefined, unknown behaviour that is out there today.

Wayne