[Collisions] "controlled interruption" - 127/8 versus RFC1918 space

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Thu Jan 9 16:18:54 UTC 2014

Folks:

re: "controlled interruption" (see
http://domainincite.com/15512-controlled-interruption-as-a-means-to-prevent-
name-collisions-guest-post)

It has been suggested instead of using 127.0.53.53, use something within
RFC1918 space (for example, 10.53.53.53).  The thinking being that using
1918 space allows someone who wants to monitor which boxes are resolving
those DNS names (and getting the flag IPs) to do so more easily by
honeypotting these responses, logging at a firewall, etc.  Such tricks are
harder in 127/8 space.  Looking for errors generated by the 127/8 addresses
would involve searching individual application layer logs for connection
errors to those addresses.

Two phases could be used ­ a period that returns 127.0.53.53 and a second
that returns 10.53.53.53.

While I see the value, I'm also a bit leery about injecting unexpected
enterprise.  That may cause unintended consequences itself.

Thoughts?  Value trade between possibly more effective notification vs.
"protecting the sanctity" of RFC1918 space?

Thx,
Jeff