[Collisions] Datasets to use for older years

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Sep 26 20:47:17 UTC 2013

On 26 Sep 2013, at 20:02, Kevin White <kwhite at jasadvisors.com> wrote:

> This still makes me curious about, like, the ripe/k-root problem. I'm
> concerned that the folders, by organization, may contain more info than just
> the root queries.

IIUC the RIPE NCC has been contributing DITL data for the other public DNS services they provide, not just for K. Most of this should be for the apexes of the reverse zones corresponding to the IPv[46] space they manage, just as the other RIRs have done. There may well be some TLD traffic in there too: the NCC provides slaves for a bunch of ccTLDs that have asked for free, reliable DNS service. Their DNS architecture has undergone some reorganisation over the years and distinct services for the likes of in-addr.arpa goop and ccTLDs have gradually been migrated to discrete name servers. This might well show up in how their pcaps are arranged at OARC.

> Do we know who we can ask about this?

Duane is probably the best bet since he's got more history than any of us in looking after and processing the DITL data sets.

If you have specific questions on the pcaps that the NCC has contributed, I'll be happy to forward them to the DNS team at the NCC. Or chat to them at the RIPE meeting in two weeks time.

hth