[Collisions] Multi-threaded Perl request

Kevin White kwhite at jasadvisors.com
Wed Sep 25 01:51:50 UTC 2013

The version of Perl installed on an3 and an4 in /usr/bin/perl is actually a
symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl5.14.4.

That version of Perl was not built multi-threaded enabled.  It appears that
the ports system of FreeBSD doesn't default to multi-threaded Perl, for
reasons unknown.

Processing these gigantic data sets, I really could benefit from having
threaded Perl.  It would make it far easier to launch a thread of work and
then gather its results when it was finished.  There is some amount of
easy-to-harvest parallelism, because there are lots of small TLD data sets.
But the large data sets, like home, end up running for hours as a single
thread.  I could do better, if I had multi-threaded Perl.

I've asked admin, and they suggested I ask this list.

Who all uses Perl on this box?  Does anyone have any objection to replacing
the perl-5.14.4 build that's out there with one that's been built with
threading enabled?

I understand that this could be considered a big deal, which is why I'm
asking the group of users that I know of.

Thanks,

Kevin White

JAS Global Advisors