[Collisions] Old root server addresses?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Thu Oct 10 11:36:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 09:56:27AM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
> I'm on a plane at the moment, but a number of folk have archives of the root-zone basically since creation.

from <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-03>

   The list of root name servers has been rather stable over the last
   fifteen years.  After the last four servers had been added and moved
   to their final (network) destinations in 1997, there have been only
   five address changes affecting the L (twice), J, B, and D servers.
   Research is available for B [Mann2006] and J [BLKT2004], which shows
   that several months or even years after the change had become
   effective, traffic is still received on the old addresses.
   Therefore, it is important that resolvers be able to cope with
   change, even without relying upon configuration updates to be applied
   by their operator.

See <https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2012-December/009491.html>
for some details of address changes.

-Peter