[dns-operations] DNS Operations

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Mar 2 18:15:28 UTC 2024

Openwrt is fine. See also pihole. I just run bind9. Knot, powerDNS, and unbound are also great.

p vixie

On Mar 2, 2024 09:56, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 8:55 AM David Conrad  wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mar 2, 2024, at 4:57 AM, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> As I checked with ChatGPT, it says ISC BIND DNS Server is the most popular DNS server software in the world.
>
> ChatGPT is the weaponization of “I saw it on the Internet so it must be true."
>
> > I'm guessing that "most popular" is what most home users use
>
> Probably.
>
> > - which seems to be pi-hole
>
> I’d be very surprised if this were the case.  I’d have thought the vast majority of what end users would use (at least on the recursive side) would be whatever their ISP was providing, which I strongly suspect is not pi-hole.

OK - that was bad phrasing on my part :(
How about the most popular DNS server software that end-users chose to
run at home?

So whatever their ISP supplies doesn't count, as well as things like
the default software on OpenWRT.  I was trying to limit it to just
what home users picked to run at home - not whatever default they were
given.

Why?  Because that might be better that what I picked to run at home.

Regards,
Lee