[dns-operations] DNS Operations

Joe Abley jabley at strandkip.nl
Sat Mar 2 13:53:51 UTC 2024

On 2 Mar 2024, at 05:26, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
>
>> As I checked with ChatGPT, it says ISC BIND DNS Server is the most popular DNS server software in the world.
>
> I'm guessing that "most popular" is what most home users use - which
> seems to be pi-hole

We don't have to guess!

> What is the most popular DNS software in the world? Please qualify your answer by explaining what measure of popularity you used, including references where possible.

Determining the "most popular" DNS software can be challenging as it depends on the criteria used for measurement. However, one common metric used to gauge popularity is market share, which can be inferred from various sources such as surveys, internet usage statistics, and data from authoritative sources within the industry. As of my last update in January 2022, while BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) historically held a significant market share and was widely regarded as one of the most popular DNS software solutions, the landscape might have evolved since then.

To provide a more current and accurate assessment, it's advisable to consult recent industry reports, surveys, and data from authoritative sources such as:

DNS-OARC (DNS Operations, Analysis, and Research Center): DNS-OARC provides valuable insights into DNS software usage through its workshops, presentations, and research publications. Their data could offer a glimpse into the distribution of DNS software among top-level domains (TLDs) and major DNS operators.
Internet Infrastructure Surveys: Organizations such as W3Techs, Netcraft, and BuiltWith periodically conduct surveys and analysis on internet infrastructure, including DNS software usage trends. These surveys often provide statistics and insights into the distribution of various DNS software solutions across websites and internet infrastructure.
Vendor Reports and Surveys: DNS software vendors may release reports or conduct surveys among their user base to understand the preferences and usage patterns of their customers. Reports from vendors like ISC (Internet Systems Consortium), the organization behind BIND, may offer insights into BIND's market share and its standing relative to other DNS software.
Industry Analyst Reports: Analyst firms like Gartner, Forrester, and IDC may include assessments of DNS software market trends, including market share analysis and vendor comparisons, in their reports and research publications.
By consulting these sources and considering their methodologies and data, one can better understand the current landscape of DNS software popularity and identify the most prevalent solutions in use today.