[dns-operations] GoDaddy DNS broken IPv6 Resolvability / Note on akam.net NS sets

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Mon Feb 5 14:51:15 UTC 2024

Moin!

On 4 Feb 2024, at 17:26, Tobias Fiebig via dns-operations wrote:
> Somewhat related, as secondaries for domaincontrol.com are now in
> akam.net: The delegation NSset and authoritative NSset (and records)
> seem to differ. Not a practical issue in most cases, but i'd be really
> curious about the reason (if it is intentional and the reason can be
> shared; Can imagine sth. CDN related?)

No has nothing to do with the CDN and everything to do with the size
of the referral responses. We learned some lessons there that I and
Duane Wessels form Verisign talk about at DNS-OARC next week in
Charlotte ( https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/48/ ).

The TLDR is that we wanted to add IPv6 glue to the referral response
but to do so and keep the referral response small something had to give.
Hence there are less names now in the referral response, but 8 is
still a lot and then now all have IPv6 and IPv4 glue.

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber