[dns-operations] A request for "data"

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Thu Apr 25 15:51:01 UTC 2024

An open question...

Is anyone aware of any use of Automated Updates of DNS Trust Anchors, documented in RFC 5011, in the last 5 years or so?  Does anyone know of a zone (other than the root) that documents or publicizes a reliance on Automated Updates?

For the record, the last time a ccTLD published a revoked SEP key was April 9, 2019 (this was not the revocation of the root zone KSK but a TLD's KSK), so I know that none of the TLDs have completed an Automated Updates roll since then.

I have no historical data below the TLD level, so I'm seeking anecdotal evidence of reliance on Automated Updates anywhere (else) in the global public Internet.  I doubt there is any, but that is based on absolutely no data and personal assumptions.

Private replies are fine...I'm not trying to name operators, just evaluate the mechanism's adoption.

Ed Lewis