[dns-operations] ag.gov not providing NXDOMAIN responses

David Zych dmrz at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 9 18:09:20 UTC 2024

Does anyone happen to know the folks responsible for ns1.usda.gov. and ns2.usda.gov.?

I sent the following to the WHOIS "Security Email" for ag.gov (only non-redacted email I could find) on Mar 15, and haven't heard anything back.

I'm also curious if this is a scenario that we've seen much of in the wild?  I note that BIND `qname-minimization relaxed` seems to effectively work around many other kinds of authoritative server misbehavior, but not this one, and it doesn't look like I can turn off qname-minimization for just one domain.

Thanks,
David