[dns-operations] Cannot send mail to outlook.com due to olc.protection.outlook.com configuration issues

Craig Leres leres at ee.lbl.gov
Fri Oct 6 18:08:39 UTC 2023

I routinely find messages stuck in my sendmail queue with the error,
"Deferred: Name server: outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com". This
system uses unbound (with DNSSEC validation enabled -- perhaps not
relevant) and the only way I was able to get one message I really needed
to deliver was to temporarily aim resolv.conf at the google public dns
resolver.

outlook.com has a MX to outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com and the
NS records for olc.protection.outlook.com are in o365filtering.com which
has "issues":

     https://dnsviz.net/d/o365filtering.com/dnssec/

An easy way to provoke this is to send a message to test at outlook.com.

This has been broken for months and there are an impressive number of
domains that use outlook.com for their mail...

Rather than go down the rabbit hole of trying to engage
msnhst at microsoft.com (which itself is broken for me) perhaps someone on
this list can poke the right person at microsoft?

		Craig