[dns-operations] anchors.atlas.ripe.net/ripe.net - DNSSEC bogus due expiration

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Nov 3 05:36:44 UTC 2023

> On 3 Nov 2023, at 02:18, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 09:34:17AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
>>> Specifically, in the case of signed zones, monitoring MUST also include
>>> regular checks of the remaining expiration time of at least the core
>>> zone apex records (DNSKEY, SOA and NS), and ideally the whole zone, both
>>> on the primary server and the secondaries.
>>
>> Indeed. If you use Nagios or compatible (such as Icinga), I recommend
>> this plugin for signatures monitoring:
>>
>> http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/nagios-plugins/check_zone_rrsig_expiration.html
>
> I wonder whether the widely authoritative resolvers could do more to
> to help?
>
> For example, BIND loads zone data into memory.  It should be able to
> know the time of the soonest signature expiration for a zone, or at
> least (if not loaing the whole zone into memory) the soonest expiration
> time is of recently queried records.

When you let named perform the signing it does just that.  The RRSIGs are
in a heap.  We look at the earliest expiration and figure out when it is
due to be re-signed (could be in the past if the server was offline for a
while).  We set a timer.  When that timer expires we re-sign that RRset plus
several more along with an updated SOA record re-adding them to the heap.
We set a timer for the next batch.  If the primary has been down too long
and they have all expired the entire zone will be signed this way when the
primary starts up.