Old version of dig on macOS

Weinberg, Matt matweinb at amazon.com
Mon Dec 18 18:48:30 UTC 2023

The latest patched versions of macOS Ventura (13.6.3) and Sonoma (14.1.2) both include an old version of the dig client:

% dig -v
DiG 9.10.6

I only noticed the issue when I attempted to retrieve the ZONEMD record of the root zone from my MacBook (it didn’t work).  I can’t speak to whether this older version of dig is missing any other features (or addresses any security concerns).

Anyone know how best to nudge Apple into updating the default dig client on macOS?  Thoughts either way?

Thanks,
Matt