[dns-operations] PTR Records for Broadband Network?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Nov 23 17:11:23 UTC 2022

On 23 Nov 2022, at 8:06, Michele Neylon - Blacknight via dns-operations wrote:
> Fast forward to 2022 and we now offer broadband to both businesses and consumers, but unfortunately some streaming services and others are blocking access. So our users have issues with Disney+, All4, Netflix and Ticketmaster to name but a few examples. One of the issues appears to be the PTR records.

I’ve been in your boat before.
While PTR records were probably +one+ source of information that these geographic and type-of-service IP data collection companies have used, they are not the only source.

AND, I do not believe PTR records are dynamically scanned on a regular basis as to determination of type of usage of IP addresses. You will have to contact the main companies directly and update your information with them. Maybe they do a yearly review of PTR records, but I would not count on anything sooner than that, and wouldn’t be surprised if PTR records were never scanned again. Most of them were reasonably responsive to me, but it will usually take weeks to month(s) to get fully loaded out to the content providers.

Most content providers depend on a few (8-10) companies to provide this data. Originally it was mostly the geo locator functions, but these companies also branched out to classify ISP/Hosting companies’ IP ranges as if they are used for residential broadband, commercial broadband, cloud hosting, colocation, etc. Providing this classification to content providers, who do blocking against people trying to get around geo rules by setting up VPN/Proxies on hosting sites.

Here’s a list of the main Geo locator service (again, the geo locator department also handles IP reputation almost always)

support at db-ip.com
support at ip2location.com
support at ipgeolocation.io
correction at maxmind.com
ip-data at digitalenvoy.net
ipintel at support.neustar
privacy at ipapi.co
support at bigdatacloud.com

You can also find contacts for content providers for their own IP reputation department at http://thebrotherswisp.com/index.php/geo-and-vpn/

(that used to be much bigger, everything must have consolidated down to the company list above, and the extra data they list)