[dns-operations] NSEC3 parameter selection (BCP: 1 0 0 -)

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue Jan 19 13:37:09 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 09:24:09AM +0000, Matthew Richardson wrote:

> At Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:55:21 -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:-
>
> >    2.  Changing the salt takes some care, so "nobody" does it.
>
> Any pointers to the "care" required when changing salt (or the iteration
> count) would be appreciated.  My searches reveal little information.  In
> particular, what timing issues exist with respect to the zone's TTLs?

Sorry for leaving this vague.  Changing the salt requires rebuilding the
entire NSEC3 chain, and so is difficult to combine with incremental zone
signing (such as BIND's "auto-dnssec maintain").  If you're doing
periodic whole zone signing, which reconstructs the entire chain, you
can change the salt at will each time the zone is signed from scratch.

If, on the other hand, the zone is signed incrementally as individual
records are modified, then there is not an opportunity to change the
salt, which needs to be consistent across the entire chain.

--
    Viktor.