[dns-operations] Google DNS Oddity

Vladimír Čunát vladimir.cunat+ietf at nic.cz
Sun Sep 8 16:16:18 UTC 2019

On 9/8/19 6:05 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:
> A quick clarification -- this has nothing to do with Google Public DNS
> (8.8.8.8), this was being sent by the authoritative servers (part of
> an experiment, which went awry, and has been rolled back).

I'm not confident about what RFCs say, off the top of my head, but Knot
Resolver does not let unrelated answer records through to its clients.
Here it's in-bailiwick, so at least the usual spoofing danger does not
apply.  (In particular, I've seen quite a number of servers claiming to
be authoritative for google.com.)

--Vladimir