[dns-operations] defensive domain registration - yes or no?

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Apr 27 16:28:00 UTC 2019

> I agree that spending a lot of money for spelling variations of your domain
> name is usually not worth it.  On the other hand, nailing down the name
> under com, net, org and perhaps a couple of others is a small cost and
> worthwhile if the names are available.

I know that's been the usual advice, but unless you have a famous name I
don't see the point.  For over 25 years I've had iecc.com.  For a long
time iecc.org was Intercultural E-Mail Classroom Connections, but now
parked at Sedo, iecc.net is a tech conference in Japan, iecc.biz is
someone in Serbia, iecc.info is for sale for $400 (good luck) and iecc.edu
is some community colleges near Chicago.

I think in two decades I can remember one time someone confused me with
the iecc.org e-mail project, and never with any of the others.

Again, if it were a famous name things might be different, but few of us
are as famous as we imagine ourselves to be.

Regards,