[dns-operations] Announcement - DNS flag day on 2019-02-01

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 31 00:20:57 UTC 2018

It is attitudes like this that forced the IETF to not do a EDNS version bump
when RFC 6891 was written.  RFC 6891 would have been much cleaner if we could
have bumped the EDNS version number but there were too many authoritative servers
out there that mishandled EDNS version 1 queries to be able to do it.

Handling of unknown EDNS options was not well defined in RFC 2671.  The changes
made to define the behaviour for unknown EDNS options was significant enough that
a version bump was warranted.

AWS has had years to fix this.  Yes, you were informed that EDNS(1) handling was
broken years ago.  Saying that you don’t have time to do this does not cut it
anymore.