[dns-operations] auth servers in different TLDs

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Apr 18 21:21:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Robert Edmonds <edmonds at mycre.ws> wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 09:46:01AM -0400,
>>  Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote
>>  a message of 153 lines which said:
>>
>> > On the other hand, anyone who compromises any of the TLD's that you
>> > use for NS records would be able to compromise your domain, so it
>> > could be a disadvantage to use several TLD's.
>>
>> Luckily, there is a technical solution for this problem, DNSSEC.
>
> Unless the attacker also publishes compromised DS records?

Yeah, I started writing a ranty response to Stephane saying exactly
that -- and then realized that the attacker would need to publish the
DS in .net (for gmx.net) -- publishing bad DS records just along the
delegation path would, AFAICT, at best result in a DoS.
If your *parent* gets 0wned though, yes, you are out of luck....