[dns-operations] Additional information about the RIPE NCC reverse DNS issue

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Mar 20 14:04:48 UTC 2017

Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

> DNAME could be used, but it would involve an extra lookup for
> resolvers, right?

Yes, and it would also require a change of name for the delegated zones
which I suspect would be a bigger problem in practice :-)

There's some discussion and examples of using DNAME for reverse DNS in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc2317bis
(which expired mainly because I wasn't sure how to resolve the open
questions, and I lacked feedback)

Tony.
Thames, Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth: West or southwest 5 to 7,
occasionally gale 8 at first. Moderate or rough. Rain at first, then showers.
Moderate or good, occasionally poor at first.