[dns-operations] EDNS and TLDs

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:09:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/16/2016 02:21 PM, Bob Harold wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If you want to run BIND, a packet filter in front of it currently is the
>>> only way to switch off processing of DNS UPDATE messages in BIND, so I
>>> can
>>> see why people do this.
>>>
>>> Florian
>>>

>>> Why not just:
>>       allow-update { none; };
>> in BIND?
>>

> BIND will still process the DNS UPDATE messages, so that it can return the
> right response code.
>
> I would expect that to be not much work processing than what the firewall
>> has to do, and less because of the overhead of the firewall.
>>

> As far as I know, your configuration change does not disable DNS UPDATE
> processing because BIND determines the UPDATE capability of a view only
> after it has found the view, which requires parsing the packet.
>
> BIND could have a global flag indicating whether any view has UPDATE
> capability, an if it is not set, reject UPDATE messages early.  I'm not
> sure if this change is worth it, or if all DNS UPDATE related bugs have
> been ironed out.
>
> Florian

In general I agree.  If there are bugs in BIND packet processing that are
not quickly fixed, then using a firewall (or iptables rule) in the interim
is a reasonable solution.  But I would avoid it if possible.
Adding an early exit if no updates are permitted might be a reasonable
optimization to make.

--
Bob Harold