[dns-operations] whois in a soundbite

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Mar 7 00:40:20 UTC 2016

GOV's whois is useless.  All you get is existence or not of the name.

e.g.
% whois fbi.gov
% DOTGOV WHOIS Server ready
   Domain Name: FBI.GOV

>>> Last update of whois database: 2016-03-07T00:16:48Z <<<
Please be advised that this whois server only contains information pertaining
to the .GOV domain. For information for other domains please use the whois
server at RS.INTERNIC.NET.
%

Part of the point of whois is to be able to get to someone who can
fix things when servers are broken.  This does not do this.

Mark