[dns-operations] DNS server benchmarking sanity check

Mark Delany x2t at foxtrot.emu.st
Mon Aug 15 03:29:32 UTC 2016

On 14Aug16, Robert Edmonds allegedly wrote:

> Did you happen to test a unique port vs. a unique IP address? I.e., it
> sounds like you tested *:53, *:54, *:55, etc. What about 192.0.2.1:53,
> 192.0.2.2:53, 192.0.2.3:53, etc.?

Sadly no, I did not test that.

Heck Robert, why didn't you suggest this two years ago when I was in
the thick of it? In retrospect, it's such a beneficial and obvious
thing to try. Drat.

My total guess is that the kernels are doing some sort of hash onto a
lock table based on the destIP, destPort tuple so a unique destIP
would be as useful a tie-breaker as destPort appears to be.

Having said all that, many of these issues seem obvious. Is it really
the case that UDP kernel performance has not been extensively analyzed
in the context of DNS servers?

Mark.