[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Apr 4 14:02:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 06:48:40AM -0700, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:

> Serving broken responses and undefined behavior is never a good idea, and
> it won't help you move operators.

What is this "undefined behaviour" of which you speak?  The situation
_ex hypothesi_ is that there is an RRTYPE that is unknown for some
server in the authority set but is either known to the master or well
enough understood by the administrator that he or she has added the
record using the unknown master file format.  Presumably under that
circumstance the administrator has added a record that he or she
understands and knows how to interpret (in the application).

I don't see what is gained in that case by adding an additional check
in the slave to check AXFRs for RRTYPEs locally unknown, and refusing
to load such a zone on trasfer.

> just ignore the expire time; it's better to serve a stale zone than to
> expire it; deletes should be explicit.

I think I disagree that ignoring the protocol in two different ways is
"better" than just doing what the protocol says to do.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com