[dns-operations] old (historical) zone files ?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jun 18 23:47:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, Marjorie wrote:

> Basically I am researching early Internet usage and I would be interested in
> (very) old zone files (or plain domain lists) from around between 1985 and
> 1990, that is the pre-WWW days. I'm interested in both gTLDs and ccTLDs.
> Tough, I know.
> Any idea ?
>

> Also, another side question. Is there an archive of the hosts.txt file ?

The old BSD distributions contain copies of the DoD Internet Host Table
(even predating your year above). Also CSRG BSD SCCS archives have some
old zone files.

(If you can't find online or order, let me know off list and I will get
them for you. I am authoring a detailed book covering this BSD history,
already with 80+ interviews.)