[dns-operations] DNS Issue

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Apr 26 15:36:35 UTC 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:32 AM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2013, at 12:27 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
>
>> I think that in many cases it is not that the named version doesn't support randomization, but rather that they / their firewall group believes that "DNS should only be allowed on port 53 (and UDP, natch)".
>
> The actual problem being that the DNS servers oughtn't to be behind a firewall in the first place.

Oh, yeah, *fully* agree -- I meant to mention this in my response (actually I was just going to cut-n-paste from an earlier rant on the subject) but forgot.

I'd probably s/firewall/firewall, load-balancer or anything else that keeps state/ -- I know you already mentioned statefull things further down in the thread, but for some reason many folk don't think of load-balancers as keeping state[0]...

[0]: Yes, yes, I know that you can configure LBs in a non-stateful / DSR mode (been there, done that, got the t-shirt), but many folk plug an LB in front of their DNS servers in some NAT / stageful manner and then get sad when it falls over…