[dns-operations] Minimalistic DNS server for SOA and AXFR

glen wiley glen.wiley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:15:25 UTC 2012

Application diversity in infrastructure services is a healthy feature.  Yes
it increases maintenance effort, but at the same time it often decreases
vulnerability to attacks and errors in the infrastructure.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> On 2012-07-17 8:01 PM, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> >
> > I am a firm believer in never writing software when something already
> > exists that will do what you need.  He may not need all the features of
> > BIND, etc. but it would save a lot of time writing (and debugging)
> > something new.
>
> i think dns needs more heterogeneity. if someone writes an axfr-only
> server it will be widely used.
>
> to that end, bind10 will be able to be used that way, and is written in
> c++ and python. it's worth a look.
>
> http://bind10.isc.org/

Glen Wiley

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de
Saint-Exupery