[dns-operations] email address in SOA

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:32:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Feng He <fenghe at nsbeta.info> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for the soa record, i.e,
> google.com.             43199   IN      SOA     ns1.google.com.
> dns-admin.google.com. 2012113000 7200 1800 1209600 300
>
> Though I know dns-admin.google.com is an email address standing for
> dns-admin at google.com
>
> I have the questions that:
>
> #1 what purpose is this address used for?
> #2 if the admin email is foo.bar at gmail.com, then it express as
> foo.bar.gmail.com. Thus how to differ it's foo at bar.gmail.com or
> foo.bar at gmail.com?
>
> Thanks.

It is informational only and often unchecked or audited by
organizations.  The purpose is to discuss DNS related issues with the
DNS admin and dots in email user names are considered a wild card and
would simply be compacted so foo.bar at google.com and foobar at google.com
are the same.  As Paul mentions you should escape the period or other
char if needed.

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~