[dns-operations] Anycast vs. unicast NS

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at communitydns.net
Fri Mar 18 14:00:50 UTC 2011

On 18/03/2011 10:57, Martin Barry wrote:
> This is not a given. BGP does not optimise for RTT. It is up to the anycast
> operator to have sufficient nodes with dense connectivity to ensure that the
> decisions made by BGP roughly equate to RTT.

This is especially true when you start getting asymmetric routes. At
times we have had to make in-bound routes seem more expensive cos the
out-bound route really is.

Our experience is that carriers prefer to carry traffic over their own
networks, so once they have a query they will send it to the nearest
node they peer with, this is not the same as the nearest node.