[dns-operations] IPv6 & IPv4 addresses

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at communitydns.net
Thu Mar 17 14:13:01 UTC 2011

I see from another thread some resolvers are using ANY to do a single
query to get both A & AAAA addresses. This may be fine generally, but
could cause a lot of traffic for :-

exmaple.com in ns example.com

which seems to be increasingly popular.

So my question is - is there a case for always returning *both* A and
AAAA records in response to an A (or AAAA) query - can anybody see any
harm in doing this? (other than a slight increase in response packet size).

Or is there a case for creating a new, virtual RR, called (say) ADDR so
a query for ADDR would mean "give me both A & AAAA" ?

I can see this becoming more & more of an issue as v6 rolls out.