[dns-operations] Monitoring DNS Servers

Stephen Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Tue Jun 7 15:16:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 23:49 -0500, david klein wrote:
> . The appliances provide a robust monitoring
> capability, using SNMP. Does anyone here provide DNS services using
> the DNS service in Windows 2008, and if so, how do you monitor it? For
> many of the same political reasons, monitoring with MOM/SCOM would not
> be an option.

SNMP would only tell you about the appliance's health. It won't tell you
how the DNS service is faring. And the same would be said of using
MOM/SCOM, or the like, to monitor the Windows servers. Use a specific
DNS network check to monitor the DNS services on each appliance and
server.

Any decent network monitoring tool should have a DNS network check. In
our data center, we use Nagios to monitor both our DNS servers health
and the DNS network service.
--
Stephen L Johnson  <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>
Unix Systems Administrator / DNS Hostmaster