[dns-operations] Quick analysis of TLD SOA's

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Wed Jul 13 15:11:34 UTC 2011

Jake Zack (jake.zack) writes:
> ET: refresh(600) < retry(1800)
> FM: refresh(1800) < retry(3600)
> LA: refresh(900) < retry(1800)
>
> In this case, though, I can't really think of a situation where one
> would intentionally do this.  Thoughts?

	Hi Jake,

	Could be misconfiguration (unintentional, as you point out), or,
	as unlikely as this may be, it could be a TLD the authoritative slave
	servers of which don't use IXFR/AXFR for refreshing zone contents.  They
	might all be slaves from a hidden SOA, or even have a master copy pushed
	by some other distribution mechanism.

	Not saying it justfies the SOA values, it just makes them irrelevant :)

	Cheers,
	Phil