[dns-operations] simple measurement

wllarso wllarso at swcp.com
Fri Jan 7 20:01:03 UTC 2011

 On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:28:35 -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:10:02 +0900
> Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
>> i run a couple of small auth servers.  i measure nothing <blush>
>> other
>> than checking query rates occasionally.  i should measure some
>> simple
>> things such as high zone use, hi A/MX use and failure.  what simple
>> tools/hacks are out there?  i might prefer a simple daily report in
>> email, as i have for monitoring a whole bunch of non-dns servers.
>> but i am open to other ideas.
>
> If you use ISC BIND named...
>
> I'm almost embarrassed to mention it, but there is a Perl script that
> summarizes a ISC BIND named formatted log file. It is consists
> primary
> of a number of confusing if and regex blocks to build hashes and then
> number of top X print statements in for loops.
>
> If it is a hack you want, this certainly fits the bill:
>
>   <http://www.cymru.com/jtk/code/named-report.pl>

 I missed the original posting, but I'd also put in a plug for looking
 at the DNS-OARC "DNS Tools" web site,
 https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/tools, for lots of nifty little tools.
 Many/most/all of these can easily be used to collect the information
 that you are looking for.

 I would also suggest the Measurement Factory,
 http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/, for other tools.  I am
 extremely impressed with their "dnstop" utility which really easily
 identifies the most frequent queries.  I don't think that it will report
 lookup failures for you, but I could easily be wrong.

 Either of these, set up as a daily, periodic, job could easily produce
 the information that you are asking for.

 I'm very biased in that I would much prefer to NOT have to enable query
 logging to determine these statistics.  Using the DNS-OARC dnscap
 utility, and the Measurement Factory, dnstop, utility, both operate as
 packet capture tools that don't have to require lots of disk space for
 log files to store stuff that is not always needed.

 Bill Larson