[dns-operations] DNS APIs, was Who Ignores TTLs ?

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Thu Feb 17 20:53:18 UTC 2011

All,

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 11:25 -0800, David Conrad wrote:
> Yes, the current APIs suck, but I don't think the application should
> try to manage the TTL.  Applications already know too much about the
> network.

While reading this thread, this comment struck a chord with me.

DNS APIs suck, and have sucked for all of recorded history.

I remember a few efforts around the IETF trying to get some traction on
the problem, although the opinion there seems to be "the IETF does not
do APIs". (Except when the IETF does, of course.)

Is it possible that DNS-OARC is a reasonable forum to design a set of
DNS APIs that suck less?

--
Shane