[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

Luis Uribarri uribarri at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 19 22:58:51 UTC 2010

The way a DNS resolver sees it there are actually 9 servers
showing 13 total addresses 6 unique IPv4's and 3 unique IPv6's
all 3 unique IPv6's are issued twice, and one of the 6 IPv4's is issued
twice.

(Asking the root tell me this)
us      nameserver = i.cctld.us.
us      nameserver = c.cctld.us.
us      nameserver = k.gtld.biz.
us      nameserver = j.gtld.biz.
us      nameserver = a.cctld.us.
us      nameserver = k.cctld.us.
us      nameserver = b.cctld.us.
us      nameserver = i.gtld.biz.
us      nameserver = j.cctld.us.
a.cctld.us      internet address = 156.154.124.70
b.cctld.us      internet address = 156.154.125.70
c.cctld.us      internet address = 156.154.127.70
i.gtld.biz      internet address = 156.154.96.126
i.cctld.us      internet address = 156.154.96.126
k.gtld.biz      internet address = 156.154.72.65
k.cctld.us      internet address = 156.154.128.70
i.gtld.biz      has AAAA address 2001:503:d1ae:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ff7e
i.cctld.us      has AAAA address 2001:503:d1ae:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ff7e
j.gtld.biz      has AAAA address 2001:503:a124:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ff7e
j.cctld.us      has AAAA address 2001:503:a124:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ff7e
k.gtld.biz      has AAAA address 2001:503:e239::3:1
k.cctld.us      has AAAA address 2001:503:e239::3:1

The DNS resolver will try to comunicate to the 9 names. If the DNS
resolver does not have IPv6 transport the resolver can't talk to 2 out of
those 9 names issued in the delegation. The resolver can only talk to 7
names across 6 IP's. The resolver has to do lots of extra work to overcome
the fact that it cannot communicate to 2 out of the 9 delegated names.

For example, if j.cctld.us were given the same ip as a.cctld.us and
j.gtld.biz were given the smae ip as b.cctld.us the delegation from root
would then show 9 servers showing 15 total addresses, 6 unique IPv4's and
3 unique IPv6's all 3 unique IPv6's are issued twice, and 3 of the 6
IPv4's are issued twice.

The DNS resolver (again without IPv6) would then be able to communicate to
all 9 names across those same 6 ip's. The IPv4 only DNS resolver does not
have to do all that extra work to overcome its lack of IPv6 conectivity.

(of course not sure if it would push the answer from root above 512, and
that would be another issue all together)

I'm looking at it from the resolvers side.