[dns-operations] contacting the root ops

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Mar 17 23:43:13 UTC 2010

At 17:02 -0400 3/17/10, Joe Abley wrote:

>Where would be a more appropriate place to publish contact information
>for individual root server operators, or for the root server system as a
>whole?

That's a good question.

If the problem were with BIZ servers, the contact would be the
registry.  For the root servers through I understand there is an
arms-length independence, which is why I wouldn't have reported
anything to IANA.  (I did look at the IANA pages for a list of
contacts, but then remembered that the root operators aren't that
close to IANA.)

At one time one operator pointed to root-servers.org as a page of
information (when the question of the day was about anycast) but
another operator said it wasn't "official".  When the latter was
asked for an anuthoritative page, nothing was mentioned.  Eventually
I was told that there was a URL to a page inside the ICANN web site.

I'm not saying that to point fingers, but to say, I really don't know.

If I needed to know in a pinch, I'd first look at the IANA web site,
as it is the root registry.  Whether or not politically acceptable,
that would be the place I'd go as an operator.  So - that's my
answer, www.iana.org/"root operations"

>There's an RSSAC meeting this coming Sunday. If there are ideas on how to
>make this better, that would be a good place to talk about them.

My impression is that the meeting is invitation only.  Seriously, I
don't know if I would attend, but I never give it a thought because
when I was once an attendee, I was told I was invited as a
representative of an RIR.  (Is the location on an agenda page?)

As in, here's the IETF agenda for Sunday:
SUNDAY, March 21, 2010
1200-1900  IETF Registration - 2nd Floor Foyer
1000-1200  IEPG Meeting - Palos Verdes
1300-1450  Newcomer's Training - Palos Verdes
1300-1450  Security Tutorial - Huntington
1500-1650  Document Lifecycle - Huntington
1500-1650  NAT and NAT Traversal Tutorial - Palos Verdes
1700-1900  Welcome Reception - Pacific C

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.