[dns-operations] DNS zone monitoring

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Mon Jun 14 18:45:27 UTC 2010

On 14-Jun-2010, at 05:34, Joe Greco wrote:

> That's sufficiently obvious that now I almost feel silly.  It's
> still not
> quite what I'd prefer, but I think it addresses many of the cases
> that I
> can think of.  Others, like disk-full-failed-to-transfer, haven't
> actually
> shown themselves to be likely scenarios...  maybe that could be
> tested by
> shifting the length of the test zone file around (yes, a crappy/
> hacky test,
> obviously).

A disk full error should be caught by your other monitoring
(preferably setting off an alarm well before it's actually full).  I
tend to avoid unnecessary duplicate monitoring; if I'm already alerted
to disk full errors, then I don't need to be alerted to the side
effects of a full disk since I can infer those.  Setting things up
that way avoids the desire to launch my phone into orbit when a single
failure generates dozens of alerts from the cascade of side effects.

Matt