[dns-operations] SE and the value of having NS in more than one TLD

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Oct 14 13:17:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:17:51 -0400 Joe Abley scribed:
> On 2009-10-12, at 18:31, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> Apparently the good folks at SE made a mistake with their host file
>> today and ended up with NS records of the form [a-j].ns.se.se. While
>> the problem has been corrected, and I certainly don't want to "pile
>> on" I thought this was a good time to mention the value of having NS
>> records in more than one TLD, even if you ARE a TLD. :)
>
>I don't think your observation qualifies that advice at all.

I'd agree that Doug doesn't qualify it very well.

But, agreeing with his 'advice', I always get very nervous when
people introduce a single point of failure - it seems the antithesis of
what cleaver people tell me when I talk DNS to them.

Perhaps saying something like "If you're running a large TLD, and
it is trivially possible to remove a dependency on one single zone file,
you may wish to investigate doing so, because others have fallen into
that trap before. Take care to balance the added complexity, and packet
size etc into this equation."

some might even suggest using more than one registry ;-)

now, where's my window cleaning solution for all this glass.

--Calvin