[dns-operations] BIND forwarders question

Michael Monnerie michael.monnerie at is.it-management.at
Wed Jul 29 18:39:11 UTC 2009

I apologize for this beginners-like question on this high-level list,
but I'd like some clarification where I didn't find a solution. It's
about BIND behaviour in detail, but I think the answer is resolver
independent.

We are having 2 sites at different locations now with a DNS resolver on
each site. Internet speed between those two different ISPs is very fast,
and the hosts to resolve will be about the same because of similar
services.

My idea is to use forward X; on site Y and forward Y; on site X, but, as
I couldn't find it in the documents, I believe this could lead to a
resolver loop between X and Y and therefore even slower resolution.
Or is BIND clever enough to only ask the other server once?

The other option would be to only setup one site to forward to the
other, but that would only fill one cache good and the other poorer.
Still, as they resolve similar hosts, if the first option
can't/shouldn't be done, it's better than nothing.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4