[dns-operations] conspiracy theories?

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Apr 22 04:03:41 UTC 2008

At 9:39 +0900 4/22/08, T.Suzuki wrote:
>For example, AC,IO,SH,TM were in dangerous state for several years.

>Then, IANA should have known it in Aug 2005.
>Finally, the mistake was corrected in May 2007.
>
>Is this a conspiracy ?

Perhaps IANA "should have known" about it, but if so, what does IANA do?

Do you think IANA should be the caretaker, an overseer, an enforcer
of a code of operations?  Or is IANA's role to be a neutral, central
registry that levies no requirements on the participants?

When I notice an inconsistency, my first contact is to the technical
contact for the child, then the administrative contact, then a report
to IANA if nothing is fixed along the way.  I don't go to a public
list while doing this, for a few reasons.

One reason is to respect the professionalism of the organization
involved.  The second, and probably more important, it is very hard
to determine the rationale behind any situation from just looking at
what is in DNS.  Increasingly, before drawing any conclusions about
"breakage" you need to have confirmation from someone who has a
password to the box in question.

Any changes to a TLD's delegation (speaking to root zone management)
has to be initiated by the TLD.  When we have migrated a zone from
one set of servers to another, we do so by changing the apex,
watching the change, and then submitting to IANA.  The wrong thing
for IANA would be to see our NS change and then alter the root zone -
because what if we want to roll back?

I learned when working for the US Federal Government in the 80's-90's
that the closer you are to the central base of information (such as
the root zone), the less proactive you should be.  Small changes at
such a position ripple into big waves at the far edges.

And remember the Internet motto - innovate at the fringes!