[dns-operations] Map of open DNS resolvers

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Fri Sep 28 15:18:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
Gregory Hicks <ghicks at cadence.com> wrote:

> Who is that one that has 256 open resolvers on one /24?  (In the
> "Various Registries" portion in the bottom center of the graph...)
>
> Just curious.

That level of detail may be interesting for researchers, the origin
network, for those who like to help others change or perhaps even for
miscreants.  For all but the last group, the place to go is OARC for
specifics rather than this public list.

Note, this map is based on a one-time snapshot of the address space
and if we examine each of those that were identified as open resolvers
then again, a very high percentage of them will not be identified as
such the second time.  The dynamism of addressing may inadvertently
mitigate the scope of open resolver problems.  Don't let them stay in
one place too long. :-/

A little bit more info that is public can be found in this IEPG
presentation:

  <http://www.iepg.org/2007-07-ietf69/open-resolvers.pdf>

John