[dns-operations] Amplification attack today ?

Olaf M. Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Mar 2 10:56:53 UTC 2007

On 1Mar 2007, at 12:11 AM, John Payne wrote:

>> On Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2007 16:23 Rob Thomas wrote:
>>> There is an
>>> on-going 1.4Gbps DNS amplification attack using 175K open recursive
>>> name servers, but it is hitting approximately three targets in the
>>> US.
>>
>> Maybe someone should establish an RBL for bad DNS servers, and all
>> root
>> servers should block DNS queries from them? By this, you will for
>> sure
>> get the attraction of that servers admin, and they must fix their
>> servers. It's a bit like RBLs for e-mails servers today, admins
>> get to
>> fix it quite quickly these days.
>
> Unfortunately... unless the blocking list is at the network level
> it's probably several orders of magnitude of extra work _not_ to
> service that request than to service it.

If I understand the proposal well, the purpose of the blocking by the
root-servers is to make the "open recursors" aware of the fact that
they are 'open' by denying them service. So all this work would be a
public service.

Still John's argument holds. It is not realistic for the root-servers
to query the DNS 40.000 times per second to see if it should deny
service to the resolver contacting it. Even when it would be possible
to maintain the blacklist locally I do not think the root-servers
should be playing internet police.

And just as with mail-blacklists the folk that are the false
positives will suffer badly.

I am ready to dismiss this idea.

-Olaf

Olaf M. Kolkman