[dns-operations] A Case Against DNSSEC (A Matasano Miniseries)

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Apr 3 20:17:58 UTC 2007

Duane,

On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Duane Wessels wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Paul Vixie said:
>
>> protecting the dns control plane is far, far harder.  first and
>> foremost, the
>
> What is the DNS control plane?  Is it something more than the ability
> to do AXFR?  To log in to the nameserver?  SOA/NS queries?
>
> How would October 2002 have been different with a DNS control plane?

Maybe there's a better phrase. I am defining a control plane as a
point-to-point connection between sources of queries and sources of
answers such that actions taken by any "actual" query source can
"actually" by controlled by the "actual" answer source in such a way
that all other query sources remain unaffected in any way.

95% of the 'net were *not* the cause of teh 2002 pain. Or any of the
attacks since then.