[dns-operations] does anybody know why yahoo+akamai are doing this?

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Mar 21 16:55:29 UTC 2006

At 19:58 +0000 3/20/06, Paul Vixie wrote:
>not even have root hints if you're running authoritative-only."  in other
>words, RFC1034 is just wrong in this case.  which is why i wondered whether

Wrong in what sense?

There is a divide between protocol design and operations.  (And
applications.)  Ideally the design of a protocol will be kind to
operations, but history is full of counter examples.

The reply shown at the beginning of the thread conforms to what I
read from RFC 1034 4.3.2.  What's there is, I think, a sensible
algorithm for generating a response.  The essence of the algorithm is
"the name you are looking for ought to be replaced with this name,
and *I think* you have to start from the top again."  I think that's
perfectly reasonable.

Of course, the iterator in this instance may have a better NS set in
local cache - but the responder doesn't know this, hence the "*I
think*."  The iterator ought to do the smart thing and not go back to
the roots, but follow what it already knows.

I can see that the protocol design looks like it is placing undue
work on operations (as in increased load to the roots).  Is that what
you mean by RFC 1034 being "wrong" in this case?